We started our trip off at Painted Hills & John Day Fossil Beds National Monument.
Spent the night in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness with a short morning hike up to Strawberry Lake.
Total distance: 3.0 mi
Max elevation: 6,325 ft
Min elevation: 5,702 ft
Total climbing: 1,060 ft
Total descent: –1,010 ft
Total Time: 01:17:23
Tuesday 8/9/2016 – Thursday 8/11/2016
After a night in Joseph at a Bed & Breakfast we started our hike to Mirror Lake early Tuesday afternoon. A lot of people at the lake, camps setup about every 20-30 meters along the cliffs overlooking the lake. We avoided the crowds by heading to higher ground setting up camp on the rocks. On Day 2 we hiked over the pass to Minam Lake. Much less crowded but decided to put in a few more miles and found a great campsite along Lostine river. Day 3 was an easy 5 mile hike out.
Total distance: 19.8 mi
Max elevation: 8,540 ft
Min elevation: 5,577 ft
Total climbing: 6,483 ft
Total descent: –6,447 ft
Total Time: 22:08:22
Annoyed by not being able to see my F-keys when it’s dark I devised this little lighting system that works great. Ideally I’d like an illuminated keyboard but sadly those only come on laptops these days. At least the one I require isn’t lit. Until now…
What you need:
Tilt your monitor over…
Attach the LED strip underneath.
Light it up!
Now go enjoy those 5am coding sessions and actually be able to see F8!
A few years of procrastination and life getting in the way but I finally picked up the chisel and finished this puppy.
Once all the mortises were finished I drilled the holes in my legs and rails. Then cut out the small mortise for the bolts.
With that done I finally put the entire base together including the rail bolts.
Time to connect the top! The guide I was using said nothing about how to do this but since everything else was mortise and tenon my plan was to do the same.
With my top upside down on the floor I aligned my base and marked out my top mortise locations. Used a ruler to verify everything was in the correct place then held my breath and went to town drilling and chopping.
Finally it was time! I glued this bad boy together. Everything except the rails that use bolts.
And last but not least, the vice. I didn’t use hardwood for the face as recommended by the vendor because I just wanted it done and had plenty of pine left. It seems to be working fine and it’s easy to change later if need be.
So after 3 & 1/2 long years it is finally DONE!
Some final thoughts…
The biggest regret I have is not using a table saw to do all the initial rips. Using my friends to rip the legs made such an epic difference. My legs are incredibly square, sadly my top is nowhere close. But it’s good enough for version 1.0 and over time I’m sure I’ll get around to squaring it up a little better.
But for now, I’m gonna go actually build something on it!
Saturday, December 12th – Wednesday, December 23rd 2015
Flew in to Papeete & took the Ferry over to Moorea.
Lots of reading, sunsets & kayaking. Here’s our favorite 3 mile loop that included a small deserted island we had completely to ourselves.