A few years of procrastination and life getting in the way but I finally picked up the chisel and finished this puppy.
Once all the mortises were finished I drilled the holes in my legs and rails. Then cut out the small mortise for the bolts.
With that done I finally put the entire base together including the rail bolts.
Time to connect the top! The guide I was using said nothing about how to do this but since everything else was mortise and tenon my plan was to do the same.
With my top upside down on the floor I aligned my base and marked out my top mortise locations. Used a ruler to verify everything was in the correct place then held my breath and went to town drilling and chopping.
Finally it was time! I glued this bad boy together. Everything except the rails that use bolts.
And last but not least, the vice. I didn’t use hardwood for the face as recommended by the vendor because I just wanted it done and had plenty of pine left. It seems to be working fine and it’s easy to change later if need be.
So after 3 & 1/2 long years it is finally DONE!
Some final thoughts…
The biggest regret I have is not using a table saw to do all the initial rips. Using my friends to rip the legs made such an epic difference. My legs are incredibly square, sadly my top is nowhere close. But it’s good enough for version 1.0 and over time I’m sure I’ll get around to squaring it up a little better.
But for now, I’m gonna go actually build something on it!