Phase 2 : Planing & Gluing

The next few months were mostly spent wrapped up in work, and trav­el­ing.  Even­tu­ally I got back to plan­ing and glu­ing.

I added some holes to my tem­po­rary work­bench, cre­ated some sim­ple dogs and went to town.

 They started out pretty bad:

After attempt­ing to square each board I’d glue it up.  The first two…

I used a piece of card­board to spread the glue nice and even.  Seemed to work pretty good.

Then more plan­ing…

 

I even­tu­ally glued up enough until I made it to the board where I wanted my dog holes.  I took a break from plan­ing & dove into some chis­el­ing.  Once my dog hole board was done that got glued up.  Unfor­tu­nately I needed one more clamp so I hacked this together:

A lit­tle sad but it did the job.  Need­less to say I ran out and bought a few more pipe clamps.

Finally, the top was all glued up.  The plan­ning def­i­nitely helped square the faces and keep the top rel­a­tively straight with out too many gaps.  Well, too many gaps for what I’m con­sid­er­ing accept­able.

The biggest issue is, as you can see, the hor­ri­bly dif­fer­ent sized widths.  I mostly focused on get­ting square faces for the glu­ing and less on fix­ing the width issues.  That’s tomor­row Mike’s prob­lem.

A word on my clamps…

I decided to use pipe clamps rather than the far more expen­sive F clamps you can get at Home­De­pot.  These where key and worked great.  I decided on 36” sil­ver gal­va­nized pipe with 3/4” Jor­gensen Pipe Clamp Fix­tures.  There’s some debate about black pipe vs. gal­va­nized.  I decided on gal­va­nized based on some rec­om­men­da­tions, the fact I didn’t want every­thing black, and it was cheaper.  The only issue I’ve noticed is they gouge where the clamp rests.  It doesn’t seem to be a real prob­lem but it does make the springs fairly dif­fi­cult to dis­en­gage when you loosen the clamp.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *